About Kind Aesthetic, DELVE, Sunlight Tax & why you should take this course.
This section is an introduction to who we all are (Hannah at Sunlight Tax, and Sara & Andrea Kind Aesthetic and DELVE) and an explanation of why we created this course. Plus, Hannah outlines the amazing content you will learn!
Hi artists and creative business owners,
Have you been struggling with understanding how to file your taxes and dread the whole money and tax side of your business? Yeah, us, too.
That’s why we created this course with Hannah Cole of Sunlight Tax: to take the fear out of your relationship with money and empower you to be a successful business.
This course will provide you with a framework to understand the whole complicated system into which your personal artist taxes fit. It’s full of videos, downloads, worksheets and crystal clear information that will expertly lead you down the path to understanding where, as an individual artist or creative, you stand as an arts business in the eyes of the IRS.
Like us, Hannah is an artist so she gets what it means to be confused about having to make art work and also run your practice like a business. The cool part is that she is also a credentialed tax expert! So she is a rare individual who understands your struggles and will demystify your tax responsibilities as an artist in a way that makes sense and takes the fear out of money and taxes.
The Ultimate, Honest Guide to Understanding Artist Taxes will teach you:
- How to overcome the fear that prevents many artists from getting all of the tax benefits they could be entitled to.
- What your tax responsibilities are as an artist.
- The concept of the Schedule C: what it’s for and why you should use it.*
- Whether filing your taxes as a business is appropriate for your arts practice.
- The difference between hobby vs. business rules and why they are a pitfall for artists.
- How to avoid the hobby loss dilemma, and what your responsibilities are in your arts practice.
- How your arts practice may be seen by an IRS professional who doesn’t know the art world, and how to present your arts business clearly to them to avoid misunderstanding.
- The reason that arts businesses are attractive targets for audit, and how to present your tax return in a way to make your professionalism and good business practices clearer to the taxing authorities.
- The basic tax equation for a Schedule C, and what are some common deductible expenses for an artist.
- How to clarify what actually constitutes art income.
- How the IRS judges your business.
- How to empower yourself with the knowledge to grow a successful career.
*Note, this course provides an excellent understanding of artist taxes and how they work, and how the IRS judges them, but it is not a how-to guide of how to fill out and file a Schedule C or how to file your personal taxes.
Now, who are we?
Sunlight Tax is run by Hannah Cole, a tax expert who specializes in working with creative people and their businesses. Though she’s worked at a couple “buttoned-up” tax firms in New York, she loves bringing her tax skills to the aid of the creative world. Her passion for helping creative businesses began when she was an Account Executive and Interactive Producer for a New York interactive design agency, where she saw the struggles and triumphs from the inside.
A long-time working artist, the financial challenges of freelancers and small creative businesses are both relevant and personal to Hannah. And she knows that describing tax concepts in jargon-free language is always a good thing.
Kind Aesthetic is a unique creative agency run by two visual artists, Sara Jones & Andrea Wenglowskyj, designed to help artists and small creative businesses with the stuff they have the most trouble with: namely writing about your work, talking about what you do, and sharing it in a meaningful and genuine way. So, in other words, we help with the branding and marketing of your work. We don't, however, provide cookie cutter advice. We can't! We have in depth, clarifying conversations with you to get to the core of what you do and why.
How do we know that artists and creatives struggle with this stuff? Because we are artists ourselves, and the majority of our friends and community is made up of artists and creatives, which gave us a pretty good market sample. :) We’ve worked with talented people in all stages of their careers to clarify what they do online, in person and in writing, and in turn for themselves.
DELVE is a coaching and educational platform that was born out of our agency work. Through DELVE we help artists and creative entrepreneurs best communicate what they do so that they can get the opportunities they want, and we do this through the 1:1 DELVE Toolkit coaching program, group online learning classes, free webinars, and in person events. Our goals are simple: to create community, to empower artists and creatives to hone the professional skills they need to put their best work into the world, and to inspire ourselves and others to take action on projects that truly matter and that will propel our careers and professional lives forward.
We are taking the fear out of money and empowering artists to run successful businesses. Join us!