The Ultimate, Honest Guide to Understanding Artist Taxes
Demystify your tax responsibilities and grow your business.
AVAILABLE UNTIL DECEMBER 15, 2019!
Artists and creative business owners: have you been struggling with understanding how to file your taxes?
We have teamed up with tax expert/working artist Hannah Cole of Sunlight Tax to demystify your tax responsibilities as an artist, conquer your tax anxiety, and shed light on many common questions about your career. The course is full of helpful videos, downloads and worksheets to walk you through all of those complicated questions you have about running your art practice as a business.
We know we've had these questions for years! That's why we are so excited to bring you this online course after years of research through our DELVE workshops and coaching.
We respect what you do, because we’re artists, too, and we know you need to understand your money. Hannah speaks clearly, without jargon, and explains tax concepts in plain English. And with a better understanding of your money, we hope to help your business grow.
We are taking the fear out of money and empowering you to be a successful business. You can do this!
The Ultimate, Honest Guide to Understanding Artist Taxes will teach you:
- How to overcome the fear that prevents many artists from getting all of the tax benefits they could be entitled to
- What your tax responsibilities are as an artist
- The concept of the Schedule C: what it’s for and why you should use it*
- Whether filing your taxes as a business is appropriate for your arts practice
- The difference between hobby vs. business rules and why they are a pitfall for artists
- How to avoid the hobby loss dilemma, and what your responsibilities are in your arts practice
- How your arts practice may be seen by an IRS professional who doesn’t know the art world, and how to present your arts business clearly to them to avoid misunderstanding
- The reason that arts businesses are attractive targets for audit, and how to present your tax return in a way to make your professionalism and good business practices clearer to the taxing authorities.
- The basic tax equation for a Schedule C, and what are some common deductible expenses for an artist.
- How to clarify what actually constitutes art income
- How the IRS judges your business
- How to empower yourself with the knowledge to grow a successful career.
*Note, this course provides an excellent understanding of artist taxes
and how they work, and how the IRS judges them, But it is not a how-to
guide of how to fill out and file a Schedule C or how to file your
Scroll down below to preview the course and learn more about us.
Sunlight Tax is
run by Hannah Cole, a tax expert who specializes in working with
creative businesses and their owners. Though she’s worked at a couple
“buttoned-up” tax firms in New York, she loves bringing her tax skills
to the aid of the creative world. Her passion for helping creative
businesses began when she was an Account Executive and Interactive
Producer for a New York interactive design agency, where she saw the
struggles and triumphs from the inside.
A long-time working artist,
the financial challenges of freelancers and small creative businesses
are both relevant and personal to Hannah. And she knows that describing
tax concepts in jargon-free language is always a good thing.
DELVE is an educational and coaching platform that helps artists and creatives tell their unique stories and establish a clear, genuine and powerful presence in the world: online, in person and in writing. Our mission is to help you reach your biggest goals by creating community, to empower you to hone the professional skills you need to put your best work into the world, and to inspire each other to take action on projects that truly matter.
DELVE was founded by Kind Aesthetic, a creative agency run by two artists, Sara Jones, a painter, and Andrea Wenglowskyj, a photographer. They met in graduate school at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts Boston in 2004 and have been collaborating on projects to support artists ever since.